Things you never really wanted to know, but I’m telling you anyway. (HA!)
1. Left Handed! I was supposed to be left handed but my parents made me be right handed. As a result I write with my right hand, and do just about everything else with my left hand. i.e. throw, paint, use power tools. I do eat with both hands but I like to use a fork.
2. Science Fair! I won first place at the Science fair when I was in 7th Grade and almost flunked Science in the years following. (I guess it was just too boring for me?)
3. Youth Ministry! After I re-dedicated my life to the Lord Jesus Christ, I worked in youth ministry as the head of the Audio/Video department and assistant drama director (among many other things) for 14+ years under Pastor Steve Munds. (It was a large youth group, we had a roster of around 650 teens, which is larger than most churches.) I learned a lot about running Audio, TV, lighting and sound. Plus I’ve made many, many life long friends and I’ve seen many people change over the years. (All for the better I might add)
4. Public Speaking. Before working in Youth Ministry I could never get up in front of people to speak. I’d avoid it at all costs and I was always very nervous and without confidence I’d stumble over my words. Now it doesn’t bother me at all. I’ve even spoken in front of about 1,500 people at church. (LWCC.org)
5. One Sister! I have a sister that is 10 years older than me. She lives in some hick state where it doesn’t snow. Go figure. (I’ll pay for that statement later.)
6. Corvettes! When I was growing up my dad had the only body shop in Southern MN that fixed Corvette’s. There always seemed to be a Corvette in his shop. I’ve wanted a Corvette since I was 7. I have not yet owned my dream car. As a side note, every time my wife has her nails done I tell her that she smells like a Corvette. She thinks that’s funny. (Corvette bodies are made out of fiberglass not metal. The smell of liquid fiberglass before it hardens is identical to what you smell in a fingernail shop.)
7. Going 65 MPH down Main Street on my Dirt Bike. I got stopped by 6’ 5” – 230 lb. County Sheriff “Shorty” Kruger, after riding my motocross motorcycle down my home town main street at 65 MPH [104 KPH]. He looked at my drivers license and asked me if I was Lyle Peterson’s son. I said, “Yes.” He just handed my license back to me and said, “Hum, here ya go, now slow down after this.” He never gave me a ticket! I didn’t question why he let me off but I assumed that he and my dad knew each other. To this day, I still have my motorcycle license but don’t have a motorcycle. A new motorcycle is on my wish list and when that day comes, you can be sure that I’ll stay far away from Shorty.
8. I passed an unmarked Highway Patrol going 104 MPH. A few summers ago we were driving on Highway 61 North of Duluth, it was a two lane road, there was a string of 5 cars and the lead one was going about 45 MPH [72 KPH], in a 60 MPH [96 KPH] zone. I accelerated and passed all 5 cars at once. What I didn’t know at the time, as I passed the lead slow car was that the second to the last car was an unmarked highway patrol. I got by the lead car just as a string of cars came from the other direction, by that time I was going 104 MPH [167 KPH]. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the second car pass the lead car and super accelerate up behind me. By that time I had slowed to 60 MPH [96 KPH]. He got right up behind me about two car lengths back. I could see the red and blue lights in his grill and all of the antennas on the back of the car. I was sweating bullets and I KNEW that I was toast! Ask me how that turned out.
9. Speeding Ticket! Speaking of speeding… I received my only speeding ticket on my 18th birthday for going 35 MPH [56 KPH ]in a 25 MPH [40 KPH] zone. (My wife has me beat, she got a speeding ticket going 93 MPH [150 KPH]2)
10. Drag Racing! I moved to the Twin Cities in 1977. I bought a ’69 Camaro and went drag racing. I later sold that car and bought a dragster. I was tied for 7th place in points at North Star Drag Strip on I-35W the last year the track was open. I’ve raced in Illinois, Wisconsin and in South Dakota I also raced in the Division 5 finals. My Camaro ran a best of 11.22 E.T. (Elapsed Time) at 122 MPH  in the Quarter mile with the 4 speed. (It came on hard at the top end) With the 2 speed PowerGlide automatic it ran a best of 11.78 E.T at 115 MPH  . I ran a 9.32 E.T. with the dragster at 145 MPH [233 KPH]. I built my own racing engines and transmissions. I once stayed up all night assembling and installing a new racing engine so I could race at a big championship the next day, loaded up the car on the trailer, drove 2 hours to the race track, only to find out that there was no championship race scheduled for that day. (The glory days before Internet and cell phones)
11. Land Speed Record! I’ve always wanted to set a land speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. I have not yet chosen a class to run in and thus do not yet know what kind of car I will build but it will be a class that is in the 250+ MPH [402 KPH] zone. I am actively looking for sponsors to help me accomplish this vision. (You may be one of the sponsors!)
12. News Paper Editor! I was the editor of my high school news paper. There were 34 people in my high school graduating class. (We didn’t have to worry about overcrowding where I grew up.) Out of that class my best friend Larry Sexton became a video editor for Oprah Winfrey, and now works for Tyler Perry. How amazing it is that out of a small High School class that two of us are in the video editing business.
13. Creative Writing! I like to write. Most of all I like humor writing. My high school English teacher, Mr. David U’Ren (Yes that is his real name) saw that gift in me and always encouraged me to write.
14. High School! I had all of my requirements completed for high school by the time I was half way through my Sr. year, so I dropped out of Physics and took a Home Economics course so I could be with the girls.
15. Ghost Writer! I was a ghost writer for Youth Pastor Steve Munds. For 7 years, I wrote a daily Internet message called Be4ore, as Pastor Steve. I’ve also written messages for Pastor Mac Hammond, Pastor John George, Pastor Scott Sibinski, Pastor Spencer Nordyke, Pastor Tracy Harris, Rev. Chip Brim & Dr. Rodney Howard-Browne plus others as well.
16. Baseball, been berry, berry good to me. I like baseball but was never very good at it so I became the equipment manager for the high school baseball team. On one road trip I smarted off to the team all the way back from a game that we lost. All of the guys threatened to throw me in the shower when we got back home. So at the last stop sign I ran out of the bus. The bus emptied and the whole team chased me around the entire school. I was faster than them (They were tired and I was smarter) and got away. They were waiting for me at practice on Monday and threw me in the shower anyway. The coach made me stay for practice in wet clothes. I didn’t smart off after that. (Not too much anyway)
17. Go ahead! Jump! I had a trampoline when I was growing up but never became very good on that either.
18. Rental Properties! My wife and I used to own 5 single family homes as rental properties plus we managed 2 more for someone else. One home off of Lake Minnetonka was a complete rehab. The only thing that we did not replace on the house was the roofing. I can sheet rock walls, and do my own electrical wiring but please don’t ask me to replace a toilet, I tend to break them. Oh! And I could write a book about “How Not To Own Rental Properties!”
19. Rehabs! I’ve always liked building and remodeling things. I built my own club house out of used lumber when I was growing up. Actually that’s not true, I got all of the kids in the neighborhood to come over and THEY built the club house while I watched.
20. Radio Producer, Video Production. I’ve audio recorded, edited and produced, over 80 radio shows that aired in Minneapolis and WIND Chicago. Plus I’ve produced, and edited two 30 second TV commercials that aired on MTV. I also used to work at Mac Hammond Ministries as Sr. Video Editor. I edited “The Winner’s Way” which was broadcast locally on Fox 9 at 10 a.m. Sunday mornings, as well as “Weekend Update” which was shown every Saturday and Sunday at Living Word Christian Center. I currently own 7Trillion Corporation which is a Video Marketing and SEO, Website Development Firm in the Minneapolis area. 7Trillion Corporation owns and operates: 7Trillion Videos and The Domain Dude and soon to be launched LIVE Stream Friday
21. Time Travel! I’m fascinated by Time Travel books, TV Shows and movies. My favorite time travel movie was “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure” and I like TV shows that delve into time travel. By the way the next time travel convention is being held at the McDonalds on County Road 30 in Maple Grove on 4/15/2015, if you have not paid your 2016 taxes that would be a good time to catch up!
22. Missions Trips! My wife and I have been on many short term missions trips over seas. Peru, China, Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia. And I know that some day I will go to Australia on a missions trip. After you’ve been on a trip like that, when you get home you truly say, “Thank GOD for the USA!” Many people have no idea how good we have it in this country!
23. Morons! I love oxymoron’s. I lean more toward the moron’s than the oxy’s. And because of that I am a legend in my own mind. (Just don’t tell anyone about it)
24. Just say NO to facial hair. I cannot grow a beard. When I try to grow a beard I have bare patches all over my face. It just doesn’t fill in at all. I can go two days before my wife notices that I didn’t shave. Speaking of shaving, I could never shave my head either. I’d look like a Klingon! I hit my head so many times when I was growing up I have bumps all over. If you are wondering about that bump on my forehead? Ricky Linde tripped me in second grade, I did a face-plant on the concrete floor. The bump never went away.
25. World Class Climber! I climbed Mt Everest 3 times and Mt. Kilimanjaro twice and I’ve lied about it all 5 times.
And THAT is all YOU need to know!
Ralph Peterson is a graduate from University of Saint Thomas, School of Business Mini-MBA (Small Business Administration/Management) Over 30 years of combined experience in Video Marketing & Website Development 7TrillionVideos.com